Thursday, November 18, 2010

Great reads:

I've been reading again (in between watering my evergreen trees for the last time before the ground freezes, and hosting an engagement party for my daughter, and polishing up a story that's finally (yay!) out making the rounds, and and and... you get the idea). This is my long-winded way of saying that I've come across some wonderful stories, stories worth checking out:

From the Fall 2010 issue, #30, of Frigg: "Last Lilacs" by Clifford Garstang - and - "Blooms" by Kathy Fish. Both of these are full and rich and captivating.

From the October 2010 Special Issue of Foundling Review: "On A Date" by Ethel Rohan. This is tender and smart and a real treat.

From Issue 18 of Per Contra: "The Parking Victim" by Robert Kaye. I love the way an ordinary object takes on new meaning in this story. What I admire and what intrigues me about stories like this one is their ability to do something with an ordinary object that would never occur to me.

From the 26th Collection of The Year's Best Science Fiction: "N-Words" by Ted Kosmatka. Yes, this is sci-fi, but don't let that scare you. I love when sci-fi and literary worlds blend; the result is usually a well-written story about intriguing, creative possibilities. This story is no exception.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the kind mention, Mitzi, I'm in excellent company here. I'm so glad you enjoyed "On a Date."

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read a story called "Delicate Arch" by Mitzi McMahon which is yet to be published, but which will win some awards when it finds a home.

    Thanks for the shout out, Mitzi.

    Robert Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethel -

    Easy to enjoy when the writing is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Robert!

    You made me smile :)

    I've gotten 2 rejections so far...

    ReplyDelete