Friday, May 13, 2011

James Durbin - American Idol

I know a lot of folks roll their eyes at the machine that has become American Idol, but I watch it, initially, for the funny/awkward/just-plain-bad auditions and then, later, as the season progresses, to see new and awesome talent. I get such joy out of listening to these kids hit notes I can only dream of, and there’s nothing better than listening to something and getting goose bumps. I’m not really discriminatory: if you can sing, and sing well, I’m a fan. But I also really dig artistry – making a song your own, reworking it, being genuine. The way David Cook did it. And Adam Lambert. I’ve taken a fair amount of grief over my love of Adam Lambert, season 8 runner up. Some people think he’s too showy, too “out there.” But that’s part of who he is, part of what makes him great. And there’s NO denying that guy can sing! Holy cow, when I re-watch some of his performances from season 8 (yes, I purchased them from iTunes), they leave me feeling gloriously alive – exactly how/what good music and great vocals are supposed to do.


And now this with James Durbin. This guy is so awesomely talented, so comfortable and genuine on stage, it blows my mind that he’s been voted off. So many kinds of wrong. The only thing I can think of is that everyone thought he was safe and so didn’t vote. I mean, really. Scotty is a nice guy, but he’s no American Idol. James Durbin can sing circles around him! The silver lining in this is that James Durbin is now free to do his own thing and won’t be bound to sing those ridiculously sappy-lyric pop songs they make the winner sing.


The American Idol season is done for me.


Rock on James Durbin.

4 comments:

  1. Mitzi,
    Can't help but notice your last two posts are on media disappointment. All the best things are cancelled-it's the nature of TV and popular media, the Firefly Fenomenon or original Star Trek. The secret is in not indicating you care. Express hate for the things you love and the networks will respond with more. Modern times demand complex logic. Be careful how you behave in front of the TV.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did it all get so complicated?? I need a set of rules to post by the TV...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rock on James Durbin! He is already a superstar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ethel! You're right about James being a superstar... I'd buy his music!

    ReplyDelete